Going beyond the Middle.
Going beyond the Middle, finishing summer strong
Can you believe that we are past the middle of summer? For some, summer is the best past of the year, yet for others summer it is the worst. Summer can bring added pressure as kids go to camp and families take vacations. Families can feel the burden of their kids being home and all that includes—three meals plus snacks, constructive entertainment and play, the taxi service, the lack of schedule. Some families manage the lazy days of summer well, while others struggle to keep a healthy balance in their homes.
I want to encourage you today with a word that will help you finish summer strong. The Bible says in Isaiah 59: 19 “When the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord raises a standard against him.” It can feel like you are drowning in a sea of all the above with little ground to get you through to the end. The good news is that a standard can only be raised on solid ground. Here is the key, in order to get to the standard you will have to let go of whatever you have grabbed on to that is keeping you a float. Let go of frustration, the fear of not being enough, comparison and competition and get to the standard of the Spirit. Isaiah tells us in 11:2 that the Spirit is wisdom and understanding, counsel and might, knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
Holy Spirit wants to show us how to keep our lives and families on solid ground. Below are a few tips to finish the summer strong!
- Plan your days—everyone does better with a bit of a schedule.
- Stay connected—its easy to lose connection as we move away from routines—plan face to face time with family and friends
- Make time for yourself—give yourself permission to take time away to do something that you want to do
- Set boundaries for screen time and video games—most experts say 2 hours per day is all kids need, that includes tv
- Playing in the yard, the park, building forts, reading, riding bikes, sidewalk art are all free and productive activities for your kids
Be encouraged today, you are doing a great job! Push through the middle of summer from a solid place and finish strong. Blessings and love!